Monday 14 June 2010

Tunnel Vision

Lately I have been feeling a lot of apprehension in doing things. Whether it be blogging, talking or just expressing myself. I've been scared that my opinions will be rejected, wholly misinterpreted, misunderstood and blown up to be something else that it wasn't in the first place - just my opinion.
"40['s] mom, always say don't ask permission, just ask forgiveness... So, forgive me"
-- Drake 'The Calm'
The apprehension - that's not a good thing. It acts a bottleneck, a blockage to good things to come. I speak using analogies a lot (it's just how my mind works) and one for this would be using a car and a tunnel.
Tunnel
(edited by me)
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved] © Copyright Peter Thwaite and licensed for reuse under Creative Commons Licence

Imagine you are sitting in a car, your car. It's not an extravagant model but rather unadorned and simple - it gets the job done (well). Your car is in park. In front of a tunnel. The mouth of the tunnel is open wide, gaping. You can make out the road because of the lights above it. You can see the walls too, until that bend. Beyond the bend you don't know what lies there, instead you just know it's there. You don't know what it's going to throw at you so you feel you are unprepared. But think. You are in your car. You are comfortable there. So you can either stay there - in park, in comfort and never know what's around that bend.

Or you can remember - you are in YOUR car. You are comfortable there. You know what you have and you can be confident in that, turn the engine on and drive. Drive beyond that bend and just be comfortable that you know there is an end to the tunnel, envisage driving through it. And knowing that what you have is enough.

xxo,
Natalie

PS A great post that I feel relates: The Neglect Factor

2 comments:

Wild Girl said...

Wow this is really well-written! Great post!

Natalie said...

Thank you so much!

xxo